Welcome to my blog, it documents my search for 'adult' life, I may have already achieved this but I don't feel very 'adult'. Here you'll find the proper introduction.

Sunday 7 October 2012

Yes we live together, No we are not gay.

[Disclaimer: There is nothing wrong with being gay.]
[Disclaimer #2: Names have been changed]

In my first post you may have noticed that I said "We are not gay" - and this statement is becoming the tagline of our life. I should mention I don't think there is anything wrong with being gay, it's just that neither me nor my flatmate are gay, yet everybody assumes we are.
Maybe I watch some misleading TV but to me the idea of two friends flat sharing is not shocking or strange. Is it just that we were good friends before moving into a flat together? Is it that most flatmates are complete strangers when they move in? Does it really make that much of a difference?
Our problems started from the moment we filled in the tenancy form - and continued onto me applying for housing benefit.

Advisor: "Are you living together as a couple?"
Us: "No"
Advisor: "Do you have children together?"
Us: "No"
Advisor: "So you are just sharing a house?"
Us: "Yes"

She then flicked through the form I filled in which would have given her the above answers. If that wasn't bad enough she then tried to tell us that I shouldn't have included my flatmate - Riley- under the section where it asked about other occupants living with me because we weren't a 'couple'.

She finally conceded that we were right.

Is it really that odd for two friends to share a flat?

Although maybe we are just too comfortable with each other and this makes us come across as being gay. It doesn't help when we have conversation like this:

Riley: "I like this wallpaper"
Me: "what about this one?"
Riley:"It's the same one as over here"
Me: "No it's slightly different"
Riley: "I don't think it is"
Me: "It is"
Riley "Yes dear"
Me: "Did you just call me dear?"

No comments:

Post a Comment