Welcome to my blog, it documents my search for 'adult' life, I may have already achieved this but I don't feel very 'adult'. Here you'll find the proper introduction.

Friday 19 October 2012

Adult Life?


My flatmate is still a student and as I had nothing better to do with my day, I went with her. It offers a change of scenery, a chance to look at all of the stuff that I can’t buy and perhaps more importantly – it means I’m not just lying in bed all day wishing I had better things to do.

It was a very surreal experience, walking around town with the knowledge that everyone I knew had left, yet I still expected to see them.
Well most of the people I knew have gone, there are 3 or 4 still around. One of which we were meeting up with. While the 3 of us were together, Riley got a phone call informing her that she had got the job she’d applied for; this prompted my friend to make the following remark:
“One of us finally has a real adult life”
Now I know she meant nothing by it, but it suggests that in her eyes I am not living a ‘real’ adult life… does having a job define adulthood? If so many 14yr olds are adults. I may not feel like I am an adult, but that does not mean that my life is not adult. I have my own flat, pay bills and at the age of 21 I’m legally an adult in every way, and in every country. I’m just missing the job.

So what defines ‘adult life’?

On a different note…That night we decided to have sausages, mash potatoes and gravy. It was only after the sausages and potatoes were cook did we realise that we do not if fact own a potato masher…

No comments:

Post a Comment